Saturday, June 9, 2007

Waiting is the hard part

I'm sure other "hard parts" will surface forthwith, but right now I'm very anxious to get started. I can't register for classes until I attend orientation and that isn't until a week from Tuesday!

Scouring the class schedule, I plan to be prepared with a list of possible classes and can register in a flash when the time comes. Of course I'll meet with an academic advisor (already started a list of questions for him/her), but when you're just starting out, it looks pretty hard to go wrong with class selection.

"Tier One" subjects include Individuals & Societies (INDV), Natural Sciences (NATS), and Traditions & Cultures (TRAD). I've picked out two Web-Delivered courses I'd like to take concurrently during Summer Session II; Money, Consumers & the Family, and Plants and Our World. I'll eventually need two courses in each Tier One group.

Summer Session is an accelerated timeframe where a whole semester is crammed into around five weeks. If I took a traditional classroom course, I'd have to find one that meets after 3:30 pm (when I get off work) or get my boss's permission to cut work for a couple hours every day for over a month! (Hmmm, doesn't sound too bad!)

But there's another problem with that because Juan and I have been planning a week-long trip to Mexico and it falls smack dab in the middle of the summer semester. Missing five consecutive class sessions just won't work. With web-delivered, I can get the homework done early for that week. I'll be back in town to take the finals in the comfort of my own home.

Six units in an accelerated semester might be a lot when I'm still working full time, so I'll take the advice of my advisor on that, but I'd sure like to get those out of the way sooner rather than later. I've already bought the books for the Money class since I plan to take it -- now or in the Fall. I'm hoping to put off any Math classes until Spring 2008 when I don't have the full time job to contend with.

Those of you who can remember college (!), do you have any "must take" subjects to recommend? Any UA professors to suggest (or avoid!)?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My experience - don't take "hard" classes during summer session. Or web-based. Math, science... I tried a medium-hard math class in summer session one time and was lost within 2 days. I did a web-based cultural class and did fine by adhering strictly to a calendar where I divided up the reading and papers into my available time. It was hard, though. A lot depends on the instructor.