Thursday, May 31, 2007

10am Math Readiness Test... WHAT?!


That's what it says on the Orientation Schedule! (pdf)

Am I ready for this? Well, no. Algebra. Remember algebra???

Actually I remember less than I thought. I loved math in high school (yeah, I was one of the weird ones) but after 33 years, I don't recall a great deal. Fortunately my hubby has an old college book "Beginning Algebra" and I'm now elbow deep in Exponents and Polynomials (Chapter 3).

For the placement test, I don't want to do TOO well. I just want to avoid embarrassing myself! I wouldn't mind scoring poorly enough to be placed into a relatively easy class (can you use "easy" and "math" in the same sentence?). But I really want to avoid wasting a semester on remedial math for which I would receive no credit. For an accounting degree, math will figure prominently, I realize, but can we start slowly... please?

I also have to take a Writing Placement Assessment and a Language Proficiency Exam. I'm not too worried about the first, and with the second, my goal is the same as for Math -- don't embarrass myself, don't score too highly, and don't get stuck with remedial French!

I'll let you know how it goes, of course.

=---------------=
SOLVE: 3x(x + 1)(7x - 2) = 0

EXTRA CREDIT: In 2 minutes a conveyor belt moves 300 pounds of recyclable aluminum from the delivery truck to a storage area. A smaller belt moves the same quantity of cans the same distance in 6 minutes. If both belts are used, find how long it takes to move 1200 pounds of cans to the storage area.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I still don't like "real life" problems! I think the answer to #1 is 0, but I didn't try #2.