Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Pima Math - What could it hurt?

I'm having second thoughts about my approach to Math. Until this morning I've been resisting the thought of taking the Pima Math course and wanted instead to retake the UA Math Placement Exam, but maybe that's the wrong approach. While I dislike taking a semester-long math class that won't really count towards my degree, what's the harm in getting Math off to a really solid start?

As I may have said before, I'm enrolled in two courses for the Fall semester: English 101, and MIS 111. And I'm still working full time. And it will take some time to get into the "college groove". In other words, it's already going to be a very busy five months and adding Intermediate Algebra on top of everything isn't my idea of a day at the beach.

But -- think through this with me -- I only need a "C" to get credit. I think I can manage a "B" but, since that grade won't count against my GPA at the UA, I won't have to kill myself with homework, if it comes to that. Plus, I'll have a classroom setting and a real prof (not just a book) to help me with any struggles I might encounter. And Juan might want to take it with me (for "fun"! ).

I found two accelerated Pima classes that could work very nicely. One meets 6-8:30p two nights a week out near our house. Starts late August and ends mid-October. The second possibility meets 4-7p two nights a week on the UA campus and doesn't start until mid-October. It ends in December. The second choice would mostly be after I have retired so maybe that's the best choice. I'll talk it over with Juan and see.

No comments: