Monday, June 18, 2007

I think I'm gonna need Plan B

Well, I've been studying College Algebra nearly every day for three weeks but I don't think it's going to be enough to pass the Math Readiness Test tomorrow. I haven't totally given up, but I need to be ready with Plan B as it's likely to be needed.

I just took the practice test and scored 32%! That's 13 correct out of 40. And I was "sure" about more than 13 answers, so I'm still not "getting it" on some of them. In the book I haven't begun logarithms, radicals, or much geometry, and I only started with graphs last night, so it makes sense those are my weakest topics, but I'll need to brush up on polynomials, quadratic equations, and all the linear stuff, too, before tomorrow.

Here's the test link if you want to try your hand:

California Mathematics Diagnostic Testing Project

It's free and I don't think they send anyone to your house with a ruler to rap your knuckles if you fail!

So Plan A is still to scrape by and get placed in Math 101 (or whatever the equivalent is these days). But if I score below that threshold, I can retake the test in November for a better placement. That will give me almost 5 months to keep plugging at the book. I'm genuinely enjoying it, for the most part, and want to get it nailed down. I'd relish the opportunity to take some time to do that before jumping on the math roller coaster. I'll be behind soon enough!

However, I'm REALLY looking forward to tomorrow's all-day orientation (and Wednesday's). I even get a tour of the campus! I know practically every building inside and out, but this time it will be from a student's perspective so that will be fun. Plus I know nothing of the academic side of the bursar's office and other departments we'll visit. Gonna need those comfortable walking shoes!

No comments: