Thursday, October 2, 2008

Settle in


I've learned to enjoy this stage in the semester. It's the point after I've completed that first test in each class. Everyone whines about tests - I think that's universal - but they're really a great way to find out exactly what the professor expects of you and to ascertain whether or not you're meeting their expectations.

The syllabus tries its hardest to convey the expectation level; some try harder than others. Last spring my Latin America class had a 35-page syllabus! Most aren't that long or elaborate and don't need to be, but Dr. Barickman sure did a great job of communicating his expectations. And he was consistent about holding us to them.

That's really all you want from a class or a prof... Just be clear about what you expect and then hold us to it.

So, although I don't know my grades yet on two of the three tests, I really feel I'm progressing sufficiently in all of them. That's a good feeling. That's the part I enjoy the most! My routines are working and I'm settling in.

No comments: