Monday, May 5, 2008

Overheard (part 2)

(In Math class) "I have a feeling I'm going to use up all my GRO's just trying to pass this one class!"

A "GRO" is a grade replacement opportunity. We get three opportunities (maximum 10 credit hours) to replace a C, D, or E (same as F) in a class by repeating it. The new grade wipes out the old (even if it's worse!).

(Also in Math class) "I thought homework isn't due until tomorrow. Oh, you just got a head start on it. I guess that's a good idea!"

Uh, yeah?!

(In Latin America class) "Hey prof, on that 6-page reflective essay that's due tomorrow, the way I understand it we're supposed to write about that author who said the middle class is gaining power in Latin America... well, what's easier to prove, that he's right or that he's wrong?"

Yikes. Sometimes I think I get good grades in this class just because the teacher's assistant is relieved to read a semi-coherent paper! But some of them can actually throw together a decent paper in a matter of hours. It must be an art! Ask Juan; I agonized over said paper for most of the day last Saturday - and I'm still revising it!

No comments: