Sunday, August 5, 2007

What I've Learned

No, not about plants or money, but about school -- at least so far...

1) Don't turn in assignments too early. You won't get any "extra credit" and you might miss an opportunity to make a late correction. Certainly FINISH them early, and don't forget to turn them in ON TIME, but don't submit early. The prof won't grade them until after the due date anyway and what you learn from feedback on one GRADED assignment may help you on the next one.

2) When it says 100 words for an essay assignment, it doesn't mean 200. Or 150. I thought 100 was a minimum count so we would do adequate research, but got points deducted for being too wordy. Lesson learned.

3) The first moment you run into a term you're unfamiliar with, start your vocabulary list! And review it every time you sit down to study. Add to it daily.

4) Nothing beats really good notes along with a comprehensive vocabulary list.

5) Plants class is every bit as hard as a Chemistry class -- half the terms I've never even heard before, and more than half the concepts are entirely new to me. Sure makes a timed test difficult when you have to look up (again) so many terms you thought you had down. (Remind me NOT to take Chemistry! It's not required for my major, thank goodness!)

6) Being a solid "B" student isn't so bad. I hope I can find a course or two where I can sneak in a 4.0 or at least a 3.5, but it will probably be a while. As Popeye used to say, "I yam what I yam!"

No comments: