Friday, August 17, 2007

Rhythms

Rhythms are so important. Sometimes we don't realize they're there until they change. I'm about to make major rhythm changes in two areas: school and work. My first "real" class commences 9:30am next Tuesday morning. I also plan to retire in October from a place I've worked for 28 years.

My summer classes being web-delivered allowed me to get into a rhythm of studying every evening and nearly all day Saturdays. One class had a PowerPoint lecture and 10-question quiz every day (seven per week!). The other had lots of reading. Arriving back from my 5-day vacation last week it felt strange not to have ANY classwork that needed done. The rhythm had changed.

But I know that's nothing compared to what I'm about to face next week with MIS 111 and English 101. I'd better not lose any time getting into a rhythm with those. Fortunately the MIS class is during working hours (I'll use vacation time) and the Freshman Comp class is right after work. That will allow me to spend whole evenings on studying. I already know that uninterrupted kind of rhythm is vital to me. People who go home from work and then out again to take an evening class have it tough.

By the time I get into a rhythm with those classes, I'll be dropping my daily trip to the office. You'd think that would be a good thing and give me tons of time to study and just hang out at home - and it will - but I'm concerned it may take time to adjust my focus. After so many years of flipping the brain switch to ON when I sit down at my office desk in the morning, I'm wondering what exactly will trigger that switch at home...

I'm a big fan of Flylady (www.flylady.net) and she encourages her followers to "get dressed to shoes" every day (including hair and makeup). Even when you won't be leaving the house. Most of her subscribers are mothers with small children who can really use the "ready" focus that wearing decent clothes and shoes gives them. That, and a timer is probably what I'll try first to gear up my brain. If that doesn't work, I'll have to find something else.

Rhythms - can they be coerced? Probably.

No comments: