Monday, July 16, 2007

Just me and Jessica

After bragging about my 100% score last week, I took a nose dive with the next two quizzes and only got 60% on each of them! Decided my study method wasn't working and revamped my whole system. Juan gave me some good advice on that. Meanwhile, I decided to find out a bit more about my 30 "classmates" in this Plants and Our World class. I thought it was a Tier One course geared towards incoming freshmen. Seems a little difficult for freshmen, so I looked up the the classlist in the UA online phonebook and, guess what? Fifty percent of them are SENIORS!

There are also quite a few juniors, several sophomores and one guy who doesn't show up anywhere. Freshmen? Just me and Jessica!

On the course grading page you can see a graph of how the rest of the class is doing (by percent, not by name, of course) on each quiz. The quizzes I struggled with were difficult for everyone else, too, although that's only minor comfort. I'll be graded on my own merit, not in relation to the other students. But I am curious about their experience. One of the seniors is a Plant Sciences major so she's probably the one getting most of the higher scores. But why the heck is she taking a freshman class in her senior year?

So my new study method has me back to 80%, 100% and 100% on quizzes 6, 7 and 8, so I'll stick with it. I'm even finishing with 1 or 2 minutes left on the 7-minute quiz clock. That gives me time to go back and reread a couple of answers I'm not sure about.

I'm learning new vocabulary about what's deep inside leaves, stems and roots. A lot on cell activity and plant structure and how it transports water from the soil to the topmost leaves, and how leaves photosynthesize sunlight into sugars and starches. Really fascinating stuff. Makes you appreciate how creative God is!

No comments: