Monday, August 15, 2011

What I learned: About Curves

A “curve” in college is usually a straight line.

In Economics there are two curves: the demand curve and the supply curve. Draw both on a graph and you basically have an X. No one bothers to calculate the actual curve, if there is one.

Grade on the curve, or apply a curve at the end of the semester. This also means a straight line. Sure, the bell-shaped graph representing all the grades is curvy, but the cut-off point is still a straight line.

Had one prof who declared at the beginning of the semester that 25% of the class would get an A, 50% would get a B, and 25% would get a C. Period. Seems like a straight "curve" to me! Theoretically I suppose one could possibly do nothing other than register for his class and still get a C, but I wasn’t willing to find out. I got a B.

No comments: