Tuesday, June 29, 2010

If I had to pick a minor...

It took me several semesters to figure out why a college student would need to choose a "minor." The best answer anyone could give me was that some departments didn't let you take their classes without declaring a minor in their college. Guess that makes sense. Turns out I didn't need to worry about that, but if I had to pick one, it would have been Economics, primarily due to Dr. Gerald Swanson. That link will take you to an article that honors his 40 years of teaching. Dr. Swanson's "Principles of Economics" class was certainly one of my favorites.

If you have time, play the little movie at the end of the article and you can see him hold the attention of every student in a classroom that seats 500!

And to think I almost didn't take his class. At the last minute I switched my Winter Session class to Managerial Accounting because my accounting lab instructor was teaching it. That meant Economics 200 would have to move to Spring 2008 and Dr. Swanson's class was the only one that fit my schedule. Talk about serendipitous!

3 comments:

Jan said...

He sounds like a great professor. I've been back several times and can't get the video to work. :o(

Jocelyn said...

I still feel that way about a couple of the professors I lucked into getting in college--to this day, I often wish I could kick back and just listen to their gravelly voices hold forth on ideas I had never before imagined.

Jocelyn said...

Just popping over to say hi and to thank you for all your fabulous comments on my posts; you keep me wanting to post!