Tuesday, August 25, 2009

See, I told you so!

I was feeling a little guilty about being a grade snob, but received clear confirmation of its significance during my first day of upper division classes. In our packed Intermediate Accounting class yesterday, the prof congratulated us on making the cut. Seems there were around 120 applicants for the 105 spaces available in the Accounting major and, while the department sets 2.75 GPA as the minimum for admission consideration, the prof said they were cutting students who had as high as 3.1 GPA who also did well on the interview and entrance exam. I know my interview score was good but I barely passed the entrance exam (par, for me!), so having a good GPA was critical. Whew.

Some other interesting tidbits learned at the Cohort Orientation yesterday evening: Of the 450 incoming business students (including all majors), the average GPA is 3.46, which is higher than previous years. Most popular majors: Accounting, Finance, and Marketing. Class breakdown: 54% male, 46% female. And 4.2% are from other countries.

3 comments:

Jan said...

Congratulations, you're doing great!

Jocelyn said...

Oh, you DO get off on all those stats, don't you?

I love that your sweating for every point in every class is reaping dividends now!

Anonymous said...

College at 50 + + +. And doing so well. I think you're pretty awesome!

beejaydee84