Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Finishing strong


There's just no feeling like it! I struggled with some of the concepts midway through Cost Accounting class and faltered on two of the three mid-term exams... pretty badly. Three moderately complex homework assignments and two case studies mostly involved spreadsheets and memos - my forte. On those you generally get a grade that matches the effort you put in, so I made sure to do a good job - which helped balance the bad exam grades. However, going into the final exam, I knew I needed 94 points out of 100 to pull out an A in the class. My average on exams to that point was just 85! And the final covered 5 chapters, not the usual 3 or 4.

I got 96! Whew! More importantly, though, while studying for the final, some things began to click into place in my brain and suddenly I saw things a lot more clearly - it started making real sense and the logic was clearer than it had been all summer. Sort of like learning a foreign language - there comes a point where, instead of your brain blowing a fuse trying to manually translate every word into English, you suddenly begin comprehending the foreign words. It's a floating sensation - or at least it was for me when I learned French in my early twenties. For months you feel like you're drowning but you wake up one day and it's almost like they're all talking English. Like you've made a connection to a new part of your brain that speaks French.

It's probably too early to tell if that happened for me with accounting this week, but it sure gives me greater confidence as I move into my first upper division semester in August. I feel so much better about all the stuff that seemed like a foreign language just a week ago. I think I'll be okay!

3 comments:

Jan said...

Hurray! That's wonderful. Good analogy, too.

Jocelyn said...

I so much appreciate the insight you give me into the hard-working student mind. Sometimes I forget that material can take awhile to gel...sometimes years. I know I go back and read books now and actually UNDERSTAND THEM in ways I didn't during college. I'm glad things are lining up for you now.

Jocelyn said...

I know I've already commented here...but I wanted to pop over to tell you thank you, thank you, thank you for your kind comments on my blog. I can't express to you how much you presence as a reader and responder means to me.