Friday, December 12, 2008

Community

First day of finals the campus is a lot less crowded so I parked a little closer and walked a different path to my classroom to take my Classics exam. The small street passed between two of the older sorority buildings and I idly noted that a parking space at the edge of one tiny parking lot was designated "Chef." Hmmm, I thought, while my consciousness drifted back from ancient Rome to the present day, I guess I didn't know sororities had chefs. Pretty cool. No worries about where/what to eat for breakfast, lunch, dinner... nice benefit.

Returned to my car the same way and, as I passed closer to the other sorority, I heard the distinctive clatter of industrial ceramic plates being either washed or set out for lunch. In a flash I was transported back to my Bible College days at CCBS and felt the wistful tug of longing for that same sense of togetherness, routine, security, of being part of a larger whole, sharing meals, helping with dishes (I doubt the sorority girls have that task, although I may be wrong!), the feeling of family at a time when your youth makes you very vulnerable.

In many ways, my one-year Bible College of, as I remember, around 60 students, probably had some similarities with a sorority or fraternity at a major college. We shared meals in the large diningroom between the two dorm wings, we knew the cooks by first name and by specialty (their spaghetti was delicious!), and there was such a sense of comraderie and, well, community.

Where did that go? Was it primarily a feature of our youth? My "community" today is, of course, my husband and home, my small circle of friends, my extended family. But there's nothing quite like being "out in the world" for the first time at 18 or 19 and experiencing such a strong bond with people you hadn't even met until you arrived on campus. I admit I've not been particularly fond of the sorority/fraternity scene and think it is a bit ridiculous and unnecessary for most students. However, this morning I did get an apreciation for how vital that sense of community is at their age. It's something I definitely benefitted from... wow, thirty-five years ago! For a moment this morning it felt like only yesterday.

2 comments:

Soul Level said...

Yeah. 'Strue.

Jocelyn said...

Oh, there's a hint of poetry in your writing here. You make me wistful, even when I'm completely content.