Saturday, January 26, 2008

The biggest difference


I'm into my third week of classes now and I already feel in the groove. Maybe it's that second semester thing. My English prof said he senses that Spring semesters are less frantic than Fall. I think he's right. I'm taking more classes than I did last semester but the pace seems very different. Probably just because we all have a semester under our belt and know better what to expect.

I'd say the biggest change in my life since I retired would have to be the change of pace. I'm no longer quite as rushed to fit all of "life" into the hours available. I still get up at the same time (5 a.m.!) and pretty much go to bed around 9 p.m., but everything just fits better into the daytime hours. I really love having more control over my day.

The $3.00 lesson: I learned a good lesson the first week of classes. There is a major difference between a 9 a.m. class and a 10 a.m. class - available parking! Last semester I could usually find a good parking spot in just a few minutes of cruising before my 9 a.m. MIS class. And for my 3:30 p.m. English class, people were leaving campus in throngs. But at 10 a.m. it's a different story. Second day of school I left the house around 9:20 a.m. and was unable to find a spot in any of three parking areas on the south side of campus. In a panic, I had to use the pay parking garage that charges by the hour. It's very close to my Math building, thank goodness, so I still made it to class with a couple minutes to spare, but at $3.00, I'd better not use it too often!

So I've made it a practice to be out of the house at 9 a.m., not only so I can find parking, but I'm in a better frame of mind if I'm not rushing from the parking lot straight into class. I even have time for a Starbucks drive-thru, thanks to a generous Christmas gift card from my brother. Just a short coffee with cream (I'm boring, I know!) and I'm set for the morning.

No comments: