Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Great Opportunity


Just when I thought my Spring schedule was set, I got an interesting email from the course coordinator of the MIS department. Dr. Neuman explained that, since my work in MIS 111 placed me in the top 10% of the class, I have been offered an opportunity to be a preceptor for the same class this spring. What's a preceptor? Here's how the email explained it:

"The term preceptor dates back into the 1400's and means tutor or instructor. As a preceptor, you'll help develop exams for the course, assist in the grading of course materials, and work with the teaching faculty on other projects throughout the semester, such as FlexLabs and proctoring exams."

The payoff for me is twofold: an extra 3 credits that will count for general business lower division elective requirements, and also something useful to put on my academic resume when I apply for Eller College admission at the end of my sophomore year. As I understand it, they're looking for more than just GPA and I think this would be a good fit.

Every time I turned in an assignment in my MIS class - there were five projects times 1500 students! - I wondered how the heck they managed to grade them all. Now it appears I'll find out!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is an honor and the extra credits are good, too!

Did I tell you that I'm the editor for the college arts journal this year? It's extra work, but it's fun, and one of the reasons I took it is because it looks good on a resume.

Beth